Monday, January 8, 2018

My Mystery Map: Istanbul

The second map I ever bought was in Istanbul, but it's the map I know the least about, and the more I read and hear about it, the more I'm convinced that it's more of a pretty work of art than it is an actual antique map. In fact, after extensive searching, I can't find anything that even looks like it online.

When buying the map, I faced a real language barrier, but it was from what appeared to be a reputable shop that had a small number of other, somewhat similar maps. What I understood from the strained conversation was that this was a page from an antique Ottoman atlas showing a map of Istanbul. I'm pretty sure now that this was not correct. Take a look and I'll try to break it down.


So above is the front of the map I bought and to the right is the reverse of the page. This map is framed and hanging on my wall, so I can't handle it, but my recollection was that the paper seemed authentic, or at the very least, not modern. Also, I cannot read the writing on this map, but it seems clear to me that it was not printed and was probably done by hand. I believe that it's the Ottoman Turkish Alphabet, which borrows from Arabic and Persian.

There are some clues about the map, but I have a hard time deciphering them. For example, I can't figure out who the hirsute chap in the photo is. I would guess he's supposed to be an Ottoman Sultan, but maybe he's a governor of the city, or some other important person.

There's also the banner at the top-center of the page. From what I can tell from searching here, it looks like an Ottoman banner that may have been used in the 18th century, but this is anything but certain.



Then there's the cityscape itself. I'm not sure what vantage this view was taken from. As best as I can tell from playing around with google streets view from Istanbul, this image is meant to be taken from the Bospherous, looking south from Galata. Somewhere around the area marked in blue.


This brings me up against a few problems. The mosque on the right hand side has three minarets and the one on the left has four. I'm pretty sure, just from the drawing, that the mosque with three minarets is meant to be the Hagia Sophia. That's simply what it looks like. The problem is, the actual Hagia Sophia has four minarets. The other mosque, which is blue in colour, could be meant to be the Blue Mosque, but that one has six minarets. Even playing around on google streets view, I can't figure out what possible vantage point would give the viewer a sight of two mosques, on on the right with three minarets and one nearby on the left with four.


I brought this map for an informal appraisal to a shop in Washington, D.C. where I used to live. The appraiser agreed that the paper it was on was old, and was less concerned than I was that the colours of the map were too vibrant to be old. Her view, however, was that the drawings themselves looked modern, that they do not reflect the way something may have been drawn long ago and that the painting of the map was probably quite new. She may be on to something. A close look at the map (not something I can show in a photo) reveals that there is text behind it, in the same script as the text on the reverse.

I'd love to know more about this map if there are any knowledgeable or sleuthy people out there who can help (or anyone who can read the Turkish).

In the meantime, despite it probably not actually being an antique map, it's still a beautiful bit of work and I'll happily keep it on my wall.

8 comments:

  1. What size is this map?Have you tried Google reverse look up to get a match on the web?
    Also have you tried some linguistic sites for experts who would be willing to come to your site and read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The map is actually quite small. It's about the same size as standard letter paper, maybe even a bit smaller.

      I've tried the reverse search with no luck, but I'm not sure where I could turn to find someone who can read it. Turks stopped writing in this alphabet in the early 20th Century.

      Delete
    2. Any linguistic sites on line? Turkish embassy?

      Delete
    3. Turkish Embassies may be a good idea.

      Delete
  2. The map itself is shown north on the left, south on the right and east on top, west on the bottom...it is of the Bosporus Straits with Istanbul on the SW corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean, you're quite right. Looking at the map, North would be on your left. There's still much about this map which is suspect. I think it's beautiful, but am less sure it's antique.

      Delete
  3. Hi there,

    As far as I can see, it is not a proper Ottoman map and language is not old Turkish nor Arabic neither Persian. Yes, It looks like Ottoman language but I can't read more than two words on the map. Only as a geographical terms, Galata and Haliç can be read on the map. The language on the map might be Italian or maybe even Ladino but in Ottoman script.
    Hope someone else can tell us more about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, and thanks for visiting, Halim. Welcome!

      I've actually been able to collect some more information on the map which I hope to write about in a stand-alone blog post shortly. I'll reply once again to this comment when I do so you can read what I've learned.

      Interesting that Galata and Haliç are clear. Are they written in the correct place? Also fascinating that someone would bother to transliterate that into Ottoman. Why not just use the Ottoman name? Also, did you mean Ladino, or Latin? Ladino would be an interesting twist as its use is relatively limited.

      Delete